|Government Notice No. R. 1648|
as amended by
|14 September 1973|
|No. R. 482||10 March 1978|
South African Nursing Council
Regulations Regarding the Conduct of Enrolled Nursing Assistants which shall Constitute Improper or Disgraceful Conduct
The Minister of Health, in terms of section 11(1) of the Nursing Act, 1957 (Act 69 of 1957), as amended, has approved the following regulations regarding the conduct of enrolled nursing assistants which shall constitute improper or disgraceful conduct, made by the South African Nursing Council:
Note (i). – Attention is directed to section 22 of the Act, which reads as follows:
“The Council may, in the manner prescribed, enquire into any complaint, charge or allegation against any registered or enrolled person, or any person registered under section 14 or enrolled under section 15, of improper or disgraceful conduct, whether or not with regard to such person’s profession, or whether or not prescribed as constituting improper or disgraceful conduct, and may on conviction impose the penalties prescribed by section 25.”.
Note (ii). – Attention is directed to section 1(xii) of the Act, which reads as follows:
“In this Act, unless the context otherwise indicates, ‘nurse’ includes a nurse who is a male person.”.
1. An enrolled nursing assistant shall carry out such nursing care as his enrolment permits, under the direct or indirect supervision or direction of a registered nurse or an enrolled nurse or, where applicable, under the direct or indirect supervision of a medical practitioner or a dentist or on his direction or written or verbal prescription.
1A. (1) An enrolled nursing assistant shall not advertise for professional gain, or permit such advertisement, other than by indicating his name, address, telephone number, hours of attendance and enrolled qualification in such advertisement.
(2) An enrolled nursing assistant shall not advertise any other person (whether such person is registered or enrolled under the Act or registered under the Medical Act or not), or any product or business or institution or organisation of any nature whatsoever, for any purpose whatsoever and in any way whatsoever, or permit his name or photograph (whether in uniform or not) to be used in such an advertisement.
Breach of Contract
2. An enrolled nursing assistant shall not without good cause break any contract of service into which he may have entered.
Professional Reputation of Registered and Enrolled Persons
3. An enrolled nursing assistant shall not wilfully cast reflection by word or implication upon the probity or professional reputation or professional skill of any person registered or enrolled under the Act or registered under the Medical Act.
4. An enrolled nursing assistant shall at all times observe the principles of professional secrecy.
Contempt of Council, Its Members and Officials
5. An enrolled nursing assistant shall not wilfully commit any act or omission which will bring the Council, or any of its members or officials, into contempt or disrepute, or which will hamper the work of the Council.
Application to the Territory of South-West Africa
6. These regulations shall also apply in the Territory.
This Web version of these regulations © S A Nursing Council.
Reproduced in terms of the Government Printer’s Copyright Authorization 7977 of 28 June 1983.
You may print copies of these regulations for your own or your organisation’s use. You may quote freely from these regulations provided you make reference to the correct Government Notice number. You may NOT sell copies of these regulations.