South African Nursing Council
Regulations Concerning the Control of the Practice of Enrolled Midwives
The Minister of National Health and Population Development has, on the recommendation of the South African Nursing Council, in terms of section 45(1)(q) of the Nursing Act, 1978 (Act No. 50 of 1978), made the regulations set out in the Schedule hereto.
1. In these regulations-
Keeping of lists of enrolled midwives in private practice by specified officers
2. (1) Every specified officer shall keep a list of enrolled midwives conducting a private practice within his area of jurisdiction and shall exercise control over their practice in terms of these regulations.
(2) An enrolled midwife's name, address, population group, date of birth, marital status and the date on which his name was placed on the list referred to in subregulation (1), shall be entered on the list.
(3) The date of enrolment with the council and proof of annual renewal of enrolment shall be entered by the specified officer.
Removal of name from list
3. (1) (a) A specified officer shall remove the name of an enrolled midwife from the list referred to in regulation 2(1) if-
(2) The specified officer shall notify an enrolled midwife by registered post of such removal.
(3) An enrolled midwife may apply for restoration of his name to the list.
Inspection of the practice of enrolled midwives
4. (1) At least once every six months the specified officer shall, either personally or through a representative duly authorised thereto by him, examine the following in respect of each enrolled midwife whose name appears on the list:
(2) A specified officer shall-
© 2004-2020 South African Nursing Council (Under the provisions of the Nursing Act, 2005)