|Government Notice No. R.277as amended by||15 February 1980|
|No. R.2189||31 October 1980|
|No. R.815||30 April 1982|
|No. R.1818||23 August 1985|
South African Nursing Council
Regulations for the Payment of Allowances to Members of the Council
The Minister of Health, in terms of section 45(1) and (4) of the Nursing Act, 1978 (Act 50 of 1978), and on the recommendation of the South African Nursing Council, makes the following regulations for the payment of allowances to members of the South African Nursing Council in substitution for the regulations published under Government Notice R.255 of 14 February 1975, as amended by Notices R.1861 of 8 October 1976 and R.1513 of 21 July 1978:
1. A member attending a meeting of the council or of a committee of the council, or otherwise engaged on the business of the Council, may be paid-
(1) a member’s allowance of ten rand (R10) for the first calendar day or part of a day and thereafter five rand (R5) for every twelve (12) hours or part thereof, including the time occupied in travelling if an absence from the town of residence of the member is involved;
(2) a subsistence allowance of-
(a) twenty one rand and twenty five cents (R21,25) for every six (6) hours or part thereof for the period of actual attendance at a meeting or on the business concerned if such meeting or business takes place in the town of residence of the member; or
(b) twenty one rand and twenty five cents (R21,25) for every six (6) hours or part thereof in respect of an absence from the town of residence of the member of less than twenty-four (24) hours which does not involve an overnight stay; or
(c) eighty five rand (R85) in respect of an absence from the town of residence of the member of less than twenty-four (24) hours which involves an overnight stay; or
(d) eighty five rand (R85) for the first twenty-four (24) hours and thereafter forty two rand and fifty cents (R42,50) for every twelve (12) hours or part thereof in respect of an absence of more than twenty-four (24) hours from the town of residence of the members;
(3) if an absence from the town of residence of the member is involved and-
(a) if the member travels by rail, air or ship, the actual rail fare (including coupé surcharge), air fare or boat fare: Provided that subsistence allowance shall not be paid in respect of the period of travel by ship; or
(b) if the member uses private transport, a motor transport allowance at one of the following rates: Provided that the distance shall not exceed one hundred and sixty (160) kilometres there and back:
|up to and including 1600c.c.:||45c per km;|
|1601c.c. to 2000c.c.:||50c per km;|
|2001c.c. to 2500c.c.:||60c per km;|
|over 2500c.c.:||65c per km.|
If the distance exceeds one hundred and sixty (160) kilometres there and back, the member may be paid one of the following allowances, whichever is the greater:
(i) A motor transport allowance at the applicable rate for one hundred and sixty (160) kilometres; or
(ii) an allowance equal to the first class rail fare, plus coupé surcharge as if the member had traveled by rail by the shortest and most expeditious route.
2. The president may, in addition to the allowances referred to in regulation 1, be paid such other allowances as the council may determine from time to time.
3. The council may, in such cases as it may deem necessary, pay subsistence allowance at a rate higher than the rate prescribed in regulation 1.
4. The payment of any allowance is subject to the provision of section 45(1)(c) of the Act.
This Web version of these regulations © S A Nursing Council.
Reproduced in terms of the Government Printer’s Copyright Authorization 7977 of 28 June 1983.
You may print copies of these regulations for your own or your organisation’s use. You may quote freely from these regulations provided you make reference to the correct Government Notice number. You may NOT sell copies of these regulations.