The SANC Circular 2/2001
To all Accredited Nursing Education Institutions and all Stakeholders
Criteria for the Approval of Clinical/Additional Clinical Facilities
Cognisance should be taken of the following criteria applied by the Council for the approval of a clinical/additional clinical facility:
- The application for approval should be submitted to the Council by the approved nursing education institution (NEI) prior to the placement of students/pupils in the proposed clinical/additional clinical facility.
- Retrospective approval of clinical facilities will not be granted.
- The period for which students have been placed at a clinical facility that has not received prior approval, will not be recognised by this Council.
- Approval of a clinical facility is granted for a specific nursing education and training programme for a particular NEI.
- Automatic blanket approval for any programme for a particular NEI is not accommodated.
- A situational analysis, based on set norms and standards, of the facility should be carried out by the NEI. Where inadequate/inappropriate learning opportunities exist arrangements should be made for practica to be completed at an alternative facility.
- In the event of the alternative facility not being an approved facility, the same procedure is followed in order to obtain approval.
- A copy of the situational analysis, indicating that the facility meets with the predetermined standard of the NEI, must be submitted together with the application to the Council.
- A copy of the formal agreement between the NEI and the facility to be used for the placement of students/pupils should accompany the application. The formal agreement should specify the role of the facility versus that of the NEI in fulfilling the objectives for the said placement.
- An indication must be given of the maximum number of students/pupils to be placed at the facility as well as the duration of such placement.
- The name(s) and professional qualifications of the person(s) responsible for the structured clinical guidance and the clinical accompaniment, as well as the number of students/pupils each preceptor is responsible for, should be submitted by the NEI to the Council annually, for as long as the clinical facility is to be used by the NEI.
- Documented evidence of clinical accompaniment must be kept for all basic, supplementary basic and post basic nursing education and training programmes.
The Council has the mandate to inspect all facilities where students/pupils are placed for clinical practica at any time. The Council may also interview students and personnel during such an accreditation visit.
G Ramadi (Dr)
S A Nursing Council