Circular 10/2023 Additional Third Examination Month for Professional Entrance Examination.
TO: NATIONAL DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
PROVINCIAL DEPARTMENTS OF HEALTH
NURSING EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS
SUBJECT: ADDITIONAL THIRD EXAMINATION MONTH FOR THE PROFESSIONAL ENTRANCE EXAMINATION
- The purpose of this Circular is to share the information with the National Department of Health, Provincial Departments of Health, Nursing Education Institutions (NEIs) and all Stakeholders about the alterations in the examination months pertaining to the Professional Entrance Examination conducted by the South African Nursing Council (SANC) for the following programmes:
- Bachelor of Nursing leading to registration in the category Professional Nurse and Midwife;
- Advance Diploma in Midwifery leading to registration in the category Midwife;
- Diploma in Nursing leading to registration in the category General Nurse; and
- Higher Certificate leading to registration in the category Auxiliary Nurse.
- The purpose of the Professional Entrance Examination is for the students to be admitted to the SANC Nurse Register on successful completion of the examination.
- INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
- Conducted examination for the legacy qualifications was twice per year with the last examination coming to an end in November 2023.
- The SANC introduced the Professional Entrance Examination during this transition from the legacy to Higher Qualifications Sub-framework-aligned Nursing qualifications. The Professional Entrance Examination is written by students who have passed the Summative Examination conducted by the NEIs and it is currently conducted in the months of May and November.
- Education and Training Stakeholders have raised concerns over the two examination months that are afforded students to write the Professional Entrance Examination because the students must wait for almost five months before they undertake the examination.
- Whilst the intension of the SANC is to ensure that students write the examination immediately after writing their summative evaluation, it is currently not feasible.
- COUNCIL RESOLUTION
3.1 The Council at its ordinary meeting held on 13-14 July 2023 resolved that Professional Entrance Examinations must be written in the months of March, July, and November to reduce the current prolonged waiting period.
- The content of this circular must be brought to the attention of all students due to write the examination.
- This circular amends section 6.1.4 of Circular 14/2020.
- Application forms for the examination must be submitted as reflected in the examination schedule i.e., not later than the seventh day of the month, three months prior to the month in which the examination is to be conducted, namely, 7 December 2023 for the March examination in 2024.
- The Circular becomes implementable and valid from the date of issue. For further information in respect of this Circular you are advised to contact Ms MA Mnguni, Senior Manager: Learner Affairs at 012 420 1065 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROF. NG MTSHALI
REGISTRAR & CEO
SOUTH AFRICAN NURSING COUNCIL
Click the link below to download the Circular as a PDF