Registration as Assessor/Moderator
- Purpose of registration of Assessors/Moderators
- Requirements for registration as Assessor/Moderator
- Process of registration as Assessor/Moderator
- Application fee
- Period of registration
- De-registration of Assessors/Moderators
- Appeals procedure
- Application for Registration as Assessor/Moderator form
The South African Nursing Council established under the Nursing Act, 1978 (Act No. 50 of 1978) as amended, is a statutory body that is charged with quality assuring of standards of nursing education and training. The Council currently operates in terms of the Nursing Act, 2005 (Act No. 33 of 2005) .
As the regulator of Nursing Education and Training, the Council must –
- Accredit providers of nursing programmes;
- Promote quality amongst constituent providers;
- Monitor nursing programmes;
- Evaluate assessment and facilitate moderation amongst constituent providers;
- Register constituent Assessors and Moderators;
- Certificate learners; and
- Maintain a database of learners, providers, etc.
In respect of assessment and moderation, the Council must –
- Evaluate assessment and facilitate moderation among its constituent providers i.e. nursing education institutions;
- Formulate criteria for registration of Assessors and Moderators; and
- Register constituent Assessors and Moderators.
Purpose of registration of Assessors and Moderators
Providers of nursing education and training are required to have assessment systems (policies, procedures, review mechanisms) in place. For this reason, people who assess candidates against the outcomes of qualifications or those who moderate assessment need to undergo the necessary training according to the Generic Assessment / Moderation Unit Standards accredited by the Education Training and Development Practices Sector Education Training Authority (ETDP/SETA). This will ensure consistency of practice in assessment/moderation, and will ensure that principles of assessment (fairness, validity, authenticity and consistency) are maintained.
The South African Nursing Council has decided that registered nurse educators (tutors) will be regarded as qualifying for registration as Assessor/Moderator based on their Nursing Education qualification. They will not be required to undertake the generic unit standards for Assessment/Moderation.
Those nurses who are not Nursing Educators will still have to undergo the required generic unit standards in Assessment/Moderation should they wish to register as Assessor/Moderator.
An updated list of accredited providers of assessor training can be obtained from the Education Training and Development Practices (ETDP) SETA at the address or on the ETDP SETA website.
Education, Training and Development Practices SETA
Quality Assurance and Development Division
P O Box 5734
Phone : 011 – 8075621
Fax : 011 – 8-77490
Requirements for registration as Assessor/Moderator
The South African Nursing Council will register persons (as Assessors/Moderators) who meet the following requirements inter alia:
3.1 Proof of registration with the South African Nursing Council in Nursing Education OR submission of a certificate of competence against the Generic Assessment/Moderation Unit Standards.
3.2 Relevant teaching and/or clinical experience.
3.3 Proof of registration with the South African Nursing Council against a specific qualification.
3.4 Proof of registration of a specific unit standards and/or qualification/s that she/he intends assessing/moderating.
Process of Registration as Assessor/Moderator
The process of registration as Assessor/Moderator is as follows:
- Submission of a letter of intent to register as an Assessor/Moderator.
- Completion and submission of an application form for registration as an Assessor/Moderator to the South African Nursing Council .
- Payment of the required application fee.
- Registration if the provided data and requirements comply with the set criteria.
- Issuing of a certificate valid for 4 years.
- An application fee of R230-00 (VAT inclusive) will be charged per field in which you wish to be registered as an assessor.
- An application fee of R230-00 (VAT inclusive) will be charged per field in which you wish to be registered as a moderator.
- The application fee will not be refunded irrespective of the outcome of the application.
- The application fee is subject to increase as determined by the Council.
Assessors/Moderators in the nursing sector that are registered by the South African Nursing Council , will be de-registered if they:
- do not comply with the requirements as stipulated by SANC
- are found not to be competent
- are removed from the register for any reason.
If an application as an assessor/moderator is rejected, the applicant has the right to appeal against such a decision. The following procedure will be followed:
- The applicant will write to the Council, stating the nature of appeal
- The matter shall be resolved between the applicant and the council
For more information please do not hesitate to contact the Nursing Council at telephone number 012 420-1000 .
Application for Registration as Assessor/Moderator Form
Download a copy of the application form below –